Join the Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) as we transform energy for the State of Maryland. This position will have an opportunity to work on the cutting edge of shaping and implementing Maryland’s energy policies to help the State become more competitive, innovative, and affordable. We are looking for the best and the brightest individuals to join the team to make Maryland one of the nation’s leaders in affordable, reliable, and cleaner energy.
Responsibilities: The Data Analyst Policy Manager will manage the State's energy information and will specialize in data processing, analysis, and data visualization. The position will work closely with the State’s Public Service Commission, public utilities, PJM and other State agencies to design, administer, manage, and track performance of energy programs and state policies. This role will manage MEA’s evaluation, measurement, and verification (EM&V) program as well as other internal and public reporting responsibilities including the following tasks:
- Work with MEA programmatic staff and the Governor’s statistical teams to compile, analyze, visualize, and present data related to state energy usage and program performance information.
- Participate in evaluation, measurement, and verification (EM&V) activity being completed on MEA’s programs.
- Research and analyze the impacts of Maryland energy policies as well as potential impacts of various policies.
- Produce data visualizations of the state’s energy programs, including interactive energy mapping; real time and historical cost/benefit analyses; and analysis of trends, seasonality issues and cost effectiveness metrics.
- Coordinate all DOE and State reporting of state energy related data; including jobs, kWh, households served, cars off the road, etc.
- Manage the data requirements of MEA to provide for data transparency, and to field/coordinate requests from the public and other state and federal agencies.
- Interpret, analyze, and visualize utility data as well as engage with utilities and other stakeholders regarding energy programs.
- Assist other MEA staff and initiatives as necessary.
Qualifications: Candidates should have at least a bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, computer science, or another technical field with a concentration in business or quantitative analysis, or similar concentration. A master’s degree in a similar field is also preferred. Candidates must have at least two years of experience working with data analytics related to the items listed in the responsibilities section above, with a strong preference of working with energy related issues. Excellent presentation, writing, and analytical skills are required. Successful candidates will have:
- Experience and/or educational background in energy and analytics;
- Advanced command of MS Office applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), database applications (SalesForce, Access, SLQ), and commercial or open source data visualization platforms. GIS systems experience is a plus;
- Past experience working on or with evaluation, measurement, and verification (EM&V) activities;
- Analytical expertise and experience demonstrating understanding of energy systems and energy efficiency measurements;
- Experience and comfort with meeting and interacting with senior business and government officials; and,
- Excellent written and oral skills; superior organization skills and able to meet deadlines, and work well with both internal staff and external parties.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements by email with “Policy Manager – Energy Data Analysis” in the subject line to Jobs.MEA@maryland.gov. Candidates will receive notification of receipt; however, only the top candidates will be invited to interview for the position.
Salary: This is a state contractual employee position and does not accrue full benefits. Salary commensurate with experience.
Location/Region: Baltimore, MD (US)