The Baltimore Museum of Art seeks a full-time Associate Curator/Curator and Department Head of American Art to work with a small curatorial staff to re-conceptualize the Museum’s American Wing, with a particular emphasis on diversity and inclusion as centrally important to the narrative of American Art. The successful candidate will be an out-of-the-box thinker willing to challenge convention and broaden the scope of what American Art can mean for audiences in the 21st century.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Propose, research and organize exhibitions of American Art and coordinate rotations in the collection galleries
- Pursue, research, write justifications for, and present new acquisitions (gifts, promised gifts, bequests, and purchases); maintain familiarity with art market and network with dealers
- Supervise Department, including one Curatorial Assistant and interns/volunteers as required; assess staffing needs in Department
- Conduct scholarly research and write for various publications on the BMA’s collection of American Art
- Develop and participate in public programs and on-line initiatives to generate interest in and educate visitors about the BMA’s collection of American Art, including giving public talks, tours, and lectures
- Cultivate donors
- Assist in fundraising for acquisitions, exhibitions, and special projects as well as write narratives for grant applications
- Ensure best possible standards in caring for the BMA’s collection of American Art, including the negotiation of loan requests
- Oversee various collection management projects, including the augmentation of on-line records for the BMA’s collection of American Art
- Collaborate with curatorial colleagues as well as fellow staff in the Divisions of Education & Interpretation, Development, Digital Experience & Communications, and Finance & Administration
- Network with professional associations, including participating in scholarly panels and symposia as well as attending professional conferences
The Associate Curator/Curator and Department Head of American Art will report to the Chief Curator.
Location/Region: Baltimore, MD (US - 21218)