The Institute for Innovation and Implementation in the University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Social Work has an opportunity for an Events Specialist. This position is responsible for the management of the 2018 Training Institutes. The Training Institutes is a large conference focused on systems of care and children’s behavioral health with approximately 2,000 participants. This is a one-year contractual position and includes travel. This position will be responsible for the overall success of the conference and will be responsible for managing proposals, contracts, honoraria, presenters, agenda development and all details related to this meeting. The Events Specialist will manage the website, online event registration site, and social marketing efforts. This position hires, trains, and supervises onsite volunteers and staff hosts.
The Institute serves as a national training, technical assistance, evaluation, policy, systems design, and finance center that is focused on children’s behavioral health. The Institute supports state and local governments and organizations to implement effective systems and practices to best meet the needs of children and youth with complex behavioral needs and their families. This support is provided through three primary units within The Institute: Policy and Finance; Technical Assistance & Implementation; and Research & Evaluation. These units work in an integrated fashion to assist governmental and other organizational entities to achieve better outcomes for children, youth, and their families.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Utilizes subject matter expertise to manage all logistic aspects of the national conference including scheduling, facility set up and tear down, supply inventory, registration, and troubleshooting. Solely accountable for the success of the event.
- Independently takes the lead to generate proposals, contracts, and other documents to secure business for all services related to an assigned event(s) such as facility, catering, audiovisual, setup, transportation, and accommodation details.
- Promotes and develops client and guest relationships. Serves as primary liaison for vendors, VIP clients and guests and resolves complex issues/concerns independently. Provides courteous, timely, and informative responses and solutions to external questions and requests concerning meetings and accommodations.
- Manages budget, tracking expenditures and respective accounts, and preparing financial reports.
- Takes the lead on creating databases, distributing informational items such as brochures, invitations, direct mail, newsletters, and advertising to promote the event. Develops leads and communicates event details to prospective participants. Responsible for overall event marketing strategy and social presence on platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Performs ongoing assessments of event outcomes and implements new processes to improve efficiency and quality of future events. Manages strategic planning and goal setting for Institute events by developing and managing database to track and analyze data, researching new event concepts to implement, creating novel approaches to build business etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Business, Meeting and Event Planning, Hospitality or other related field.
Experience: Three (3) years of related experience such as event, meeting management, or conference management.
Other: Equivalent experience and education may be substituted.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possesses a knowledge of position requirements and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws. Knowledge of event/meeting planning and venue/catering/transportation contracting.
- Ability to conduct negotiations and gain agreement from interested parties. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses strategies to increase knowledge base.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively and network with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers. Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to train, supervise, and evaluate professional staff. Capable of exercising initiative, resourcefulness, and sound judgment with an ability to solve problems independently and make quality decisions. Ability to establish goals, structures, and processes necessary to implement a mission. Skilled in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes. Ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects necessary to implementing a specific organizational program.
- Ability to manage a budget and prepare non-routine reports. Ability to manage websites and online databases.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Job:Exempt Staff-E2921DEmployee ClassEmployee Class :Exempt Contingent IIExempt RegularFull Time/Part Time:Full-TimeShift:Day JobFinancial Disclosure:NoOrganization:Social Work - The Institute for Innovation and ImplementationJob Posting:Jun 23, 2017Unposting Date:Jul 14, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Internal ID: 17000153
Location/Region: Baltimore, MD (US)