Principal Antenna Design Engineer
Cobham is seeking a Principal Antenna Design Engineer to join our team to lead major development project, make unique individual technical contributions and perform research, staff and consulting assignments of a professional technical nature where highly diversified knowledge of engineering principals, theories, precedents and practices are necessary to accomplish the goals and objectives. The candidate will have direct and applicable experience in analysis and design activities in the development of
antenna products related to electronic warfare, radar, phased arrays, communications, and navigation systems at frequencies ranging from radio through millimeter wave. Our antenna and antenna subsystems are the result of collaboration across many engineering disciplines including: Mechanical, Electrical, Systems, Manufacturing, Hardware, and Firmware/Software Engineering.
The primary responsibility for this position is the conceptual design and development of microwave Antenna and Antenna System products, antenna design and simulation, prototype hardware manufacturing and performance evaluation, project coordination through final mechanical & manufacturing documentation, configuration release, qualification & verification testing and certification and production release. The responsibilities also include support to Business Development on bid and proposal efforts, private venture /
IR&D activities and ability to manage a technical team project cost, schedule and technical performance
We are actively seeking qualified talent in either of the following geographies: Lansdale, PA, Hauppauge, NY or Exeter, NH.
- Plans, schedules and leads major projects or makes unique individual technical contributions where extensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principals are necessary.
- Conducts research in areas that require extensive expertise and knowledge in antenna design and development.
- Servers as consultant to organization and customers on advanced technical research problems and products.
- Evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of antenna activities and recommends alternatives to comply with customer and company obligations.
- Receives assignments in broadly stated engineering problems or objectives; formulates plan; has considerable freedom of action to execute assignment and provide periodic progress and review reports.
- Establishes technical approach, selects and pursues course of action to obtain the desired result; May lead major segments of large proposals.
- Often acts independently to uncover and resolve issues associated with the development and manufacturing of programs. Exercises wide latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical assignments/problems to obtain desired outcomes. Work is tempered only by the effectiveness of results obtained, typically requiring a longer-term perspective.
- Assignments are broad and may include the development of new techniques as a result of independent research and study; development and evaluation of plans and procedures; theoretical computations and analysis; design and development of equipment with several complex features; testing of procedures, equipment, materials; contributions to proposal efforts; responsibility for the conduct and performance of assignments.
- Reviews and coordinates the work of assistants or project team members. Coordinates the preparation of charts, diagrams and reports, expressing recommendations, technical accomplishments and project progress measured against specific plans.
- Capable of performing a Lead Engineering role and manage work assignments, cost and schedule efforts of the team and report and status activities of a Cost Account manager (CAM).
- Attends conferences and meetings to represent assigned activity.
- Maintains knowledge in the area of specialization and is cognizant of developments in other related fields. May represent company at technical forums and meetings.
- Performs special assignments as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from accredited college or university and usually a minimum of 8 years’ experience in Antenna Theory, Microwave/RF Engineering and antenna product development.
- Experience in Microwave Antenna Design including Phased Arrays, Multi-element apertures, linear, dual linear, and circular polarized antennas, horns, printed circuit spirals, coaxial and strip line antenna radiators.
- Design experience in designing both balanced and unbalanced antenna feeds.
- Proficient in electromagnetic simulation tool ANSYS HFSS.
- Proficient in MATLAB analysis and basic programming.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint.
- Possesses good communications skills and comfortable presenting to customers.
- Willing to travel occasionally in support of customer visits, briefings, conferences, and other Cobham site visits.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, you must be eligible to obtain and maintain security clearance, which requires USA Citizenship.
- Master’s degree and ten years’ experience or PhD with seven years’ experience in Antenna Theory, Microwave/RF Engineering and antenna product development.
- Possess and apply knowledge of cutting edge technical principles, theories, concepts and technologies. Sufficient knowledge to exhibit an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness.
- Ultra-wideband (>2:1 BW) antenna experience with numerous antenna topologies.
- Knowledge and/or experience with meta material structures for antenna applications.
- Experience testing antennas in far-field anechoic chambers, compact ranges, and/or near field testing.
- Team management, project management and program management skills.
- Proficient in electromagnetic simulation tools FEKO, GRASP, MW Office, and SystemVue.
- Possesses advanced skill in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint.
- Active Secret Clearance and ability to obtain special clearances.
Cobham’s values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world’s leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and
at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to
all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.